Where are They Now? 7 Years Later
JobKatif, with G’d's help, found jobs for thousands of people and helped initiate hundreds of businesses. However, there are still hundreds of people without work, each one experiencing a complexity of problems, only to increase geometrically as the years pass and the individual is still without employment or under-employed.
• As time passes unemployment problems worsen which leads to serious emotional problems, lack of self esteem and often marital difficulties, making it even more difficult to get back into the work market.
• People age and the older they get, the greater the chance of the workplace rejecting them.
• After trying to find work and failing, people now suffer from depression.
• Many people still do not have permanent housing.
How did JobKatif help the former residents of Gush Katif? And what are the plans for the future?
• JobKatif initially set up a website with thousands of job postings, providing an easy and accessible outlet for finding employment.
• JobKatif advertised job searches for Gush Katif residents in national newspapers.
• JobKatif was able to subsidize retraining courses for people according to their needs and capabilities, thanks to donors’ contributions.
• JobKatif staff actively seeks out individuals in need of help, rather than waiting for the phone call to come in. Going from house, JobKatif staff bring encouragement, strength and joy, and readying the unemployed, once again, for the workplace, and in that way are often able to save a whole family.
• JobKatif has on-staff psychology professionals, social workers, former residents of Gush Katif itself and businessmen all dedicated to helping each individual get back on his/her feet.
• JobKatif is in direct contact with many employers to help them find a suitable employee. After the employee is hired, JobKatif works to ensure his absorption in the workplace.
• JobKatif assists in the launching of new businesses. Business coaches sit with individuals to see if they are able to start and run a successful business. JobKatif funds a significant part of the business and provides ongoing advice, in terms of marketing, fiscal responsibility, advertising, and other services that are crucial to the success of any business.
JobKatif’s vocational rehabilitation program has developed a customized holistic method that allows us to adapt to each person according to his needs. We strive more than ever, to bring these people to believe in themselves, encourage them to stand on their own, plan for their new-found growth and promote their ability to adapt to new situations and new experiences. .
However, in order to complete the job and return all Gush Katif families to the employment cycle, we need more job offers and we especially need more money. The projects are costly: scholarships for retraining courses, funding business consultants, psychologists and other professionals, funding for job placement, assistance in opening new businesses, etc.
Thank G-d the State of Israel is participating in 75% of our costs, but this is conditional on us first raising the money and spending it. Only then will they release the funds.
No donations, means no government participation!
As we know, in about a year and a half there will be elections. We should take advantage of the government’s present decision regarding the approved budget and to make use of state aid.
Hopefully we can answer the rest of the wonderful people of Gush Katif’s employment issues so they can stand on their feet in their own right, and once again be able to give as they have in the past, and become, once-again productive citizens of the State of Israel.
Thank for all your support,
Rav Yosef Zvi Rimon